Saturday, July 31, 2010

something ugly

I just dont even know where to begin. All day yesterday I was thinking about how appearance isnt everything and God has been talking to me about this all week. I definitely don't want to be in the group of people who see someone and think that I am better than them. I dont want to be a part of the group that tears other Christians down either. I want to be able to go into walmart and not judge people becuse of what they are wearing. I am a Christian and I know that those things just dont matter. How you smell doesnt matter. What you wear doesn't matter. How your hair looks doesn't matter. How your body looks doesnt matter. I got a good dose of why not to judge people by their appearance this week. Someone picked on someone I love very deeply yesterday because of their appearance AND Talent. We are talking TWO DIFFERENT CHRISTIANS picked on this person I love and told them he/she wasn't good enough. This person is an amazing person and I love them so much and it hurt me that people were bringing them down. He/She had the potential to go deeper with God last night because we were at church...and I'm not sure he/she was able to shake the 3 horrible and ridiculous things said to them. My heart is just broken. I know that I am called to forgive these people who hurt my loved one but it is so hard because I just don't understand how they could bring down a fellow Christian in this way. I would never intentionally hurt someone. I would NOT go jiggle someones tummy and say they needed to lay off the sodas or I wouldnt go to someone and tell them that their talent just wasnt as good as so and so's. I just can't understand. But one thing I have done in the past is silently judge people based solely on appearance. I hate to admit that. Its embarassing and it hurts me. I guess this week sheds light on a flaw of mine. I don't like to see any of that in myself. I am going to change it because here's the thing. God loves us all. We may be involved in sin but he still loves us. God loves the Christians who persecuted my loved one. God loves my loved one. God loves the people who shop at walmart. Appearances are decieving. I just hope I am not the type of person who would've denied Jesus because he wasn't the great King I was expecting. He was just a carpenter. Maybe he was dirty and had dirt in his fingernails? Would I drop everything and follow him. I hope so. We have got to put a filter on our hearts and mouths. Just because you think something about someone or you have jealousy that makes you want to say something negative to someone doesnt mean you should or need to say it. Filter your mouth and heart. Your stare or words could completely turn someone off to Jesus. It could hurt their self esteem. It could bring them down lower than they already feel. You just dont know what something you say or do could do to someone. I hope people dont think less of me because of my confession but I promise that from this day forward I will be working on it.

1 comment:

  1. I would HOPE these were kids/teens and not adults doing this! :(

    ReplyDelete