Wednesday, January 12, 2011

books

I am reading a few books right now. I am a somewhat slow reader but reading 3 at once is sure to slow me down even more. haha. So far this year i have read two books.
1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows-This book was AMAZING. I cried all the way through it. I loved it so much. The whole series was awesome. The only book I had trouble getting through was The Goblet of Fire but the end of that book set the others up to be the best in the series. I loved the fight against good and evil. It was wonderful.
2. The Hunger games (book 1)- I loved this book as well. So far I am having a lot of luck with books this year! haha. It is right up my alley. It reminds me in a way of 1984 (one of my favorite books of all time). I love the whole idea of the book. It was gritty and that makes me wonder how they are going to make the movie considering it is a young adult book. (yes, apparently there is a movie coming out)

The three books I am reading now are:
1. Mere Christianity- This one I am FINALLY reading after having it in my collection for 10 years! lol. So far I am just kind of bored. I feel bad saying that. Granted I'm only 3 chapters in. =) I'm hoping "book 2" gets more interesting for me.

2. To Live is Christ-This one is by Beth Moore and it is an in depth look in to the life of Paul. So far I am loving it. There have been some profound statements in the book that I like. It is great to see Paul in action from a child on. To soak in what his conversion meant. I really am enjoying this book. I love the way Beth Moore knows her stuff and she has a really amazing way with words to tug at your heart as you read.

3. Catching Fire (hunger games book 2)- So far this book has been very intense with everything that just went down in the first book. I am just so captivated by this book. I literally cannot put it down. It looks like there may be some violence coming soon. I dont want to say too much because I want you to read it. It just reminds me of a few things. One is that I am fed like a person in the Capitol and I sometimes forget about the people who are hungry. Two is that there are places in the world that are like this to a degree (maybe not as harsh) and I shouldn't take my freedom for granted. I could definitely see how the horrid way the Capitol treats the people of the districts could happen if America fell. The carnal displays they create in the districts just to entertain themselves (the wealthy and corrupt government officials)and the fear they have of losing their power. (can you see that already in gov't officials?) There is a love story but it doesnt matter to me as it did in Twilight or some other superficial novel. This story is about the story not about who ends up with who. I LOVE it.

2 comments:

  1. Funny! In the letter I just mailed you yesterday, I ask you if you've ever read the Hunger Games books! I just did a couple weeks ago. Good stuff, huh? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I am really enjoying them a lot.

    ReplyDelete