Monday, November 8, 2010

Adoption is selfish

Yep I read that today from a few people on a post about Chinese adoptions dwindling. It really hurts. Why would someone be so against international adoption? They said it was selfish to take a child out of their culture. OK, so let's leave a child in ,let's say Ethiopia, in an orphanage. Let's leave one of the 6 million in Ethiopia in their culture...without hope, without a chance for a family, without love of a mother. Let's face it, because of poverty and illness in that place there is no way all the children will be adopted. Is it ideal that they get adopted from someone in their country? YES! But is is realistic? unfortunately not. So let's leave them there to die because nobody ever touches them. Let's leave them to age out and continue the cycle of poverty. Let's leave them to get sold into slave labor or into child prostitution. Let's leave them so they never wake up on Christmas morning wondering what "Santa" brought them, so they never graduate elementary school much less high school or college. That's better than being "selfish" and bringing them to America. Yeah, that makes sense. Do people not realize that international adoptive parents have thought about this. About culture. Maybe that is even why they choose to adopt from a particular place. Maybe we've done some research and we plan visits back so that can connect with their culture. We are parents. I am not a perfect person but I know that being a mother is the most selfless job you can ever have. So how is adopting a child overseas selfish? I just can't wrap my head around that statement. These things really hurt. It will probably be something we face for our child's whole life. All we can do is pray. I will not let people bully me into not following Gods plan for us. I will not let people bully my child for being different than us in appearance. It is just hate. Hate and a superiority complex. Who is anyone to decide what is best for someone Else's family. Why can't all adoptive parents band together. It is hard enough being an adoptive parent without having to compete to see who is the most selfless adoptive parent. It is like this weird contest, whoever adopts the most needy child wins and they get to dole out as much unsolicited advice as they can get to come out of their mouths. Why can't we just all be happy when a person adopts through any avenue? I mean a child in need is a child in need. this orphan problem is bigger than us so shouldn't we all rejoice when one child is rescued from that no matter where they are from? I didn't expect it to hurt this much to hear so much negative feedback. I know we are doing what we are meant to do I just didn't expect to already be hearing this much negativity about it, especially from adoptive parents!!! I just wish people would start loving each other instead of making everything a fight. I dont like to get my feelings hurt. haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment