Sunday, November 14, 2010

Hurrying

I am reading this book called The Hurried Child by David Elkind and so far it is AWESOME! All of my fears of not living up to the standard of todays culture as far as raising children are being resolved! I love his ideas and it is making me realize that I have made some good choices in regards to Claire. (Praise the Lord! haha) I mean so far it is just talking about how because of our busy American culture we tend to hurry our childre to grow up too fast. Putting them in adult situations even when we don't realize it. We sometimes expect them to know stuff too soon in life, which thwarts their growth! I am so glad to have found this book because I'm finding that maybe I push Claire too hard to grow up too fast. Like why does she need to know her ABC's at 3? She doesnt! She's 3 and when she is ready she'll learn them! It really takes the pressure off. I can't believe how much I push her because I dont want people to look down on me for being "just" a stay at home mom. I've decided that I need to take a look at how I parent and learn to let go a little and let her be a kid because I DON'T want her to grow up too fast. I dont think any parent wants that. There will be more on this subject because often, I think, adults (especially moms) are peer pressured into making their kids perform at the level that other parents SAY their kids perform. If your kid isn't interested in learning their colors or ABC's at 3 then there must be something wrong with your parenting. You must be lazy. Your child must be deficient somehow. I worry too much what people think cause here's the deal: Stay at home moms are BUSY! This is by far the hardest job and most exhausting, thankless job I've ever had. (but worth it and I feel so blessed!) I do not sit on my rear eating candy watching Jerry Springer all day. That's just not how it is but for some reason (and I don't think I am alone here) it seems that people have that perception of us. I guess its from the "oh, I dont think I could just sit around all day"s we get. there is a lot of pressure for our kids to be at the same level as schooled preschoolers. I know one thing for sure, Claire's learning style is different than mine. Her perception of the world is different than mine and from now on I'm going to let her explore at her own pace. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment